Yoga fitness, health attributes
The origins of yoga go back to over 5,000 years ago, although some researchers estimate that yoga may be up to 10,000 years old. It was not until centuries later that yoga fitness developed into an exercise routine. This article covers some of the yoga fitness, health attributes. There are many different styles and adding yoga to your workout could add more to your routine and to your life.
Physical activity doesn’t always have to be strenuous to be effective. Yoga’s health benefits compete with other forms of exercise. It lowers your risk for heart disease and hypertension. Yoga is a good alternative to lessen symptoms of depression, headaches, diabetes, some forms of cancer and pain-related diseases like arthritis and some MS.
This form of "fitness" alternative does help with weight loss. When you exercise and perform cardio activities like: running, jogging or weight lifting, you heartbeat increases as does your calorie burning . With yoga movements your body gets stimulate and it triggers the release of the hormone serotonin. This hormone is what helps regulate everything from your mood and appetite to your sleep patterns.
Yoga forms and types
- HATHA YOGA - Just about every type of yoga class taught in the West is hatha yoga. Basic yoga postures that includes the practice of postures and breathing exercises. Hatha yoga fitness helps bring peace to the mind and body. It also helps prepare the body for deeper spiritual practices such as meditation.
- VINYASA - Referred sometimes as a flow class. Vinyasa yoga fitness refers to the continuous flow from one posture to the next. It is a general term that describes many different styles of yoga in one. This type essentially means movement synchronized with breath. The style is based on a rapid flow through sun salutations. It is an intense movement.
- Ashtanga yoga- Mostly fast paced energetic and physically challenging yoga fitness. Always performs the exact same poses in the exact same order. Breathing is absolutely important as you move from one pose to another. This type of yoga is physically challenging. It will help develop a high level of flexibility to your body.
- Power Yoga - This yoga fitness is called power yoga because the technique allows for more freedom of poses. It is a combination of moves without following any specific style.
- Bikram Yoga - The technique of Bikram yoga fitness takes place in a very heated room. Follows the exact techniques and poses, regardless of where you go to take the lessons, as this is a requirement to be called Bikram. The lessons are 90 minutes long and sweating is part of it. It is intended to manage weight loss and eliminate toxins from your body.
Other known Yoga fitness
There are more styles of yoga, developed through the years. Some are a combination of the techniques of two or more yoga forms. Other yoga fitness styles add other elements to help the movements. Some of those styles are:
- Jivamukti Yoga, iyengar, viniyoga, yin yoga, anusara yoga therapy and restorative yoga. These last two are a different type of yoga: yoga therapy is an attempt to create a training program with the focus on yoga as a powerful healing. Adding programs designed specifically for medical and mainstream wellness settings. This type of yoga is found as part of health programs in rehabilitation centers and hospitals. Restorative yoga is more relaxing and meditative with a more tender stretch and movement. This type of yoga includes different elements like blankets and blocks. These are used to provide support.
One of the most important points about yoga is that you can add it to your exercise routine and reap great benefits. Doing yoga two - three times a week in addition to your workout routine is a well developed plan. With this kind of routine you can achieve to lose weight, develop flexibility, increase lean muscle and detox body and mind. Ready to join a program?
We have curated the looks to make you the perfect yogi. Need some new basic yoga equipment? Take a look at our affiliates for products, accessories and ideas to get in perfect shape! Leave us a comment below and let us know your thoughts on this article. We love to hear from you!
The article “Yoga fitness, health attributes”, first appeared at swagandsash.com. All rights reserved. 2016
Some of the product links on this site are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, swagandsash.com will receive a small affiliate commission. Our comments, content and views are not dictated by these links. We work at this website and blog to help our readers. Comments, reviews are ours. The fees and commissions help us to keep optimizing the work.