Belgium beautifully exposed
A country with a lot of heart
Belgium exposed... beautiful and friendly, this small country is full of beauty and history. Widely known for its many kinds of beers, chocolate, and waffles - Oh those waffles! - There are some facts that put this country on the list when traveling Europe.
- It is the International Headquarters of the European Union, Located in the capital of Belgium, Brussels.
- Belgium is multilingual and multicultural. French (Wallonia) and Dutch (Flanders), are the official languages and German is also spoken by a minority. English is spoken widely around the Brussels area and there are communities of English-speaking expatriates.
- The country's medieval flavor is still around, there are many structures typical to the age and cities that take you back in time.
- Paradise for Beer drinkers - You will find in this country the most amazing tasting beer and varieties to have one each day of the year. There are tours available to breweries around Brussels.
Places to visit in Belgium
Belgium should be on the list of countries to visit when touring EUROPE. The historic places, monuments, museums, and food, rivals other countries around it. Just in restaurants, it has over 2,000 in Brussels and surrounding areas alone. Many of these with at least one Michelin star. I lived a good part of my life in Belgium, while there my family and I visited a different restaurant every weekend - sometimes two - and we were never let down. It is a true paradise for food lovers.
Restaurants on our list:
From "Mom & Pap" to Gourmet, (Michelin Star) there are plenty to choose from. Some of our favorites:
- Comme Chez Soi
- Aux Armes
- La Roue d' Or
- La Ville Lorraine
- La Truffe Noire
- Le Chalet de la Foret
- Brazzeries George
- La Fou du Roy
- La Maison Du Cygne
- La Brasseries de Bruxelles
- Le Forneau
- Le Bleu Elephant
- Chez Nous
- Chez Leon - Home of the National Dish - Mussels
Places, Monuments, and Museums:
- The Royal Palace
- La Grand Plaza
- Mannequin Pis
- Le Grand Sablon & Le Petite Sablon
- Cathedral of Saint Michael
- The Town Hall
- Waterloo the town and the Butte de lion grounds
- Bruges - the Venice of Belgium
- Citadelle - Namur
- Les Ardennes
- Bastogne War Museum
Check here for more places to visit. While Belgium is smacked between countries his fashion flair is Avant Garde. Avenue Louise, City 2, Rue Neuve and Galerie St. Hubert are trendy and home to local as well as international designers. In Avenue Louise, you will find Louis Vuitton, Channel, Prada, Cartier, Inno and Armani among others.
While touring around do not forget to eat frites (french fries)and Belgian waffles- sold by many street vendors- you will not find frites and waffles this tasty anywhere else. Of course, try a new beer variety when visiting and don't forget chocolates - after all this is the capital of beer and chocolate.
Like our article? Have some more information to share with us? Leave us a comment below! We will love to hear from you. Subscribe to our newsletter! Share with your friends! Thanks for visiting!
The article "Belgium Exposed", first appeared at swagandsash.com. All rights reserved. 2016
Swag and Sash team
Some of the product links on this site are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, swagandsash.com will receive an affiliate commission. Our comments, content and views are not dictated by these links. We work very hard at this website and blog to help our readers. Comments, reviews are ours. The fees and commissions help us to keep optimizing the work.